Palace of Fine Arts
This San Francisco landmark was constructed for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915. The arched rotunda and colonnades evoked a feeling of ancient ruins and were loved by all from the opening of the exposition, only 9 years after the great earthquake of 1906. Bernard Maybeck designed it with the intention that it would be demolished at the end of the event, but it survived due to the public outcry that such a beautiful structure should not be destroyed. It crumbled over the years and was partially rebuilt in the 1960's. Restoration continues, and this landmark is still a very scenic destination for wedding photos, foggy strolls and urban picnics.
Photos 1 - 24 of 35